Mary, Mother of God : Steve Ray’s Talk in Ephesus

by Steve Ray on November 5, 2014

I gave a short talk and Mary the Mother of God in Ephesus where Mary had lived with St. John the Apostle.

I gave my talk at the Church of the Virgin Mary where the 3rd Ecumenical Council of the Church declared Mary the Theotokos, the Mother of God. Enjoy!

Cyndy Mitchell November 5, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Dear Mr. Ray,
I am so thankful that you are posting the pictures and videos of your journey! I am enjoying them so and learning more than I ever thought I could watching a simple video. The other reason I like them is because my aunt & uncle, the Ruvalcaba’s, are traveling with you on this wonderful pilgrimage. I see them smiling, happy and filled with spirit as they visit places of Mary’s life. We have even made the videos something to watch after dinner with my parents. Thank you for sharing! God bless you & the pilgrims!
Best wishes and safe travels,
Cyndy Mitchell

Ken Martin November 7, 2014 at 6:29 PM

It is interesting Steve, as to what you left out in your reference to I Kings chapter 2, Solomon’s Mother did indeed come in to the throne room, Solomon did indeed, rise and bow and have her sit at his right hand. But the Queen Mother’s request was in fact denied, and the first person to go to the Queen Mother with his request was put to death that very day! So much for taking requests to the Queen Mother, doesn’t alwys work!

Let me explain a bit. Solomon is a type of Christ yet Solomon was a sinner. Solomon’s sin does not detract from Jesus’ perfection as the quintessential king of Israel and the Universe. Every king had a queen but it was never his wife; it was his mother. She was called giborah, great lady and Queen Mother.

Being a sinner and flawed did not detract from the fact that Solomon was a type of Christ. Neither does Bathsheba’s sin and flaws detract from her being a prefigurement of Mary. Solomon and his mother were sinners; Jesus and his mother were not. What Solomon and his mother failed to do; Jesus and his mother do perfectly.

If you use Bathsheba’s sin to diminish Mary, then you must be consistent and use Solomon’s sin to diminish Jesus. Queen mothers were flawed intercessors; the Mother of God is an intercessor without flaw.

I didn’t miss anything.

Ken Martin November 12, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Steve, Ken here again, as a cradle Catholic , convert to Evangelism, and read the Bible kind of guy; I still do not understand the praying to Mary. Isn’t Jesus our advocate with the Father? Do I need a Team of Lawyers, or isn’t Jesus enough? Where in Scripture does it say Mary is without sin? I am not trying to be a smart Alec with you. I in fact am reading your book “Crossing the Tiber”; and have watched, or listened to 3 or 4 of your You Tubes (before this one on Mary) , and have pretty much brought the argument on the Catholic Church being established by Christ. But both my wife and I have problems with what I call Maryanism; and purgatory. I wish you were in Atlanta, I’d come to hear you, and hopefully have a one on one conversation with you! (In order to ask you questions, but this will have to do). You probably have a book on Mary; do you? I’d buy it too.

Ken Martin November 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM

***(Steve I wrote this to a friend; then decided to send it to you instead, and let you answer my questions, Thank you.
***I know she gave birth to Jesus: True Man True God, I know that at that time she was a virgin. But being sinless, and not having any other children – that I don’t see in the Bible. In fact the belief that she has no other children makes having children seem bad or something, like it’s dirty, like having relations with your husband is dirty! God chose Abraham to be the Father of Israel,(and many Nations), God chose Noah and his family and saved them in the Ark, God chose David, to be King – none of these people were perfect; they were however obedient. Mary was obedient; she answered the Angel, “Below the handmaid of the Lord”. She was obedient to God’s very special call on her life, and she is, and will ever be most blessed among women! Paul in Romans states; “All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” Now we know Jesus was the spotless Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the World. – So he is the one human being who was sinless. He also, as it says in Isaiah takes away our sins and makes us white as snow, though they were red as scarlet. (Which leads to my other problem ; purgatory, Christ Jesus’ sacrifice on the Cross was sufficient. When I die, the dross will be burned away as Paul says in Corinthians but he does not talk about a place where this happens. These are my main problems. I admire all these heroes of the Faith, they walked by Faith and were obedient to God, far better than I am. But they were all sinners wrapped up in that statement of Paul’s ; “all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Alexarae January 28, 2015 at 10:18 PM

I would love to hear Steve’s response to this. Was this ever answered?

ken martin March 31, 2016 at 4:51 AM

I am now back in the Catholic Church, I don’t understand everything, but take the Church’s teaching by faith in the Church Christ started.
thanks for your patience with me Steve