New Convert Holds His Ground with a Street Preacher

by Steve Ray on April 15, 2015

I was so delighted to receive this e-mail that I had to share it with everyone!

Hi Steve,

Just had to share this…I was visiting San Antonio this weekend and as I walked around the riverwalk section of town, a gentleman approached me with a gospel tract. When he asked, “Are you sure you are saved?”, I thought to myself, “What would Steve say?”

After thinking for a second, I smiled and told him, “Absolutely–I’m saved the bible way!”  When he asked what I meant by my (your) response, the ensuing answer led to an hour-long conversation with me doing my best to give rock-solid (no pun intended) answers to each of his skeptical questions. I even raised some points for which he had no “packaged” answers.

This was the first time since my conversion to the Church that I’ve really engaged in apologetics and defended the faith adequately. What made it more interesting is that this guy is a fallen-away Catholic and an MD who has started a small church of his own (At one point I even suggested that he was, in a sense, a self-appointed pope!).

After we shook hands, I walked away and overheard him telling others on his mission team, “Wow, that was a very intellectual argument!” It turned out to be the highlight of my weekend.  I am so grateful for all the work that you and other notable converts have done, through your books, CDs and videos,  to get me to this point.

Safe travels, Darrell

De Maria September 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Awesome! Keep up the good work!

De Maria

Jerry Pennybaker April 15, 2015 at 7:07 AM

Awsome story! Keep reading and you’ll be prepared!

Rachel Baer April 15, 2015 at 7:40 AM

simply delightful to hear!!!!!!

Mercy Man April 15, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Great post!
Good works beget more good works.

Peter Shafton April 15, 2015 at 6:33 PM

So often we, cradle Catholics need to be pruned down to our roots. Who better to do that, than a fresh, unspoiled convert? Good on you Darrell, keep up the great work, and may God continue to bless you.

Darrell April 15, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Hey Steve,
This was an email I sent to you a couple of years ago! I still remember the incident well, and often wonder about the gentleman with whom I had that conversation. Since that time, I have continued to study the faith, and have shared what I’ve learned with many more people. I am eternally grateful for your role in my conversion to the Church in 2011, and for being so kind to me on a couple of occasions that we spoke. In fact, each time I attend mass and receive communion, I return to my seat, kneel in prayer, and thank God for His Church, for all those who work within it to do His will, for those who led me into the light the Church, and for the opportunity to share that light with others. May God continue to bless your work and your family.

Earl April 16, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Great response to street preacher. I would like to be able to respond like that but I don’t know how. Are there any books that would help?

STEVE RAY HERE: I would join the St. Paul Street Evangelism group and learn these things in their classes and in real life.