Vatican to Release Stamp Honoring Martin Luther

by Steve Ray on September 9, 2017

(Reposting this from earlier this year — now that we are in Germany following this schismatic and arguing with him along the way)January 18, 2017 (Catholic World News)

The Vatican will issue a stamp to honor Martin Luther this year, marking the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation.

imgresThe Vatican regularly issues stamps to mark special occasions and to honor individuals. In the past, stamps have been issued to honor non-Catholics, but never to honor a non-Catholic for religious leadership.

“Luther was condemned as a heretic by Pope Leo X, and called “a drunken German who will change his mind when sober”. He carefully researched Luther’s statements, and declared that he must recant 41 of these statements or face excommunication. This was done with a Papal Bull, or an edict, called ‘Exsurge Domine’. In the ‘Decet Romanum Pontificem‘ on January 3, 1521, Luther was officially excommunicated” (Wikipedia).

Frankly I am disgusted. Why not just canonize the schismatic heretic. Good grief? The Pope recently said that Luther was only trying to reform the Church. He also wrote, “The church was not a role model, there was corruption, there was worldliness, there was greed, and lust for power. He protested against this. And he was an intelligent man.

Thirty-three of us now have a front row seat to really learn about Martin Luther, in Germany  to study the Reformation (Rebellion) on location as we argue with Luther in all the significant places in his life as the historical event unfolded.

For more info on the Vatican’s Martin Luther stamp, click here.

Michael Poulin January 19, 2017 at 6:23 PM

Just a reminder what type of evil Martin Luther was:

“Christ committed adultery first of all with the women at the well about whom St. John tell’s us. Was not everybody about Him saying: ‘Whatever has He been doing with her?’ Secondly, with Mary Magdalen, and thirdly with the women taken in adultery whom He dismissed so lightly. Thus even, Christ who was so righteous, must have been guilty of fornication before He died.” (ref. Trishreden, Weimer Edition, Vol. 2, Pg. 107. – What a great blasphemy from a man who is regarded as “great reformer”!).

Chris Lapain January 19, 2017 at 7:29 PM

I am totally beside myself as to where Pope Francis is taking us.
I know we are to love our brothers and sisters of other faiths but this has taken it too far.
To honor somebody with a stamp and the other hoopla that we see coming out of Rome as we
prepare to “celebrate” the reformation is just mind blowing.
Maybe instead of kissing the backsides of the protestants we should be trying to convert them with the truth
as that is what will set them free. I find it insulting and disgraceful to the many martyrs and people who have suffered through the centuries because of what Luther started.
I think it is time to get out the sackcloth’s and ashes and start some good old offering up and beg God to get us back on coarse before we go over the edge.
Saint John Paul The Great pray for us.

Tom Govern January 19, 2017 at 10:43 PM

Don’t think that I would have done this if I were in the decision making position. It does reach out but many will not support it. We need to get together but this may not be the right way.

Gabriel Dentler January 20, 2017 at 12:18 PM

Why? Why Steve? Just Why? Honoring this man? Since when? When did ecumenism turn into relativism?

Grenville January 21, 2017 at 6:39 AM

St. Athanasius wrote. “Even if Catholics faithful to the tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ”
with all the problems in our church today, the traditional group and the wishy washy group and after reading what Athanasius has to say, reminds me of the war of Gideon against the midianites.
May be God will shrink our Church first before we fight the battle with satan,( all the evil in the world) so all the Glory will go to God.
All we have to do is stick to the true traditions of our faith handed down to us and not fall for the rubbish going around us today and Pray to God for Mercy like you neve done before, like the Ninevites.
May God Bless us and spare us, your people.

Trumark January 27, 2017 at 2:56 PM

I am deeply disgusted by this commemoration of the heresiarch of all heresiarch. Won’t Jews be offended since Martin Luther wrote the most powerful anti-Semitic diatribe in history calling for their persection and death?

De Maria September 10, 2017 at 2:49 PM

He who has no sin, cast the first stone. John 8:7

I am totally beside myself as to where Pope Francis is taking us.

In my opinion, Pope Francis is following Christ. What did the Pharisees say when Jesus praised prostitutes and tax collectors?

Matthew 21:31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

The answer is that they tried to kill Him:

45 And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them.
46 But when they sought to lay hands on him, they feared the multitude, because they took him for a prophet.

I understand that we don’t like what Luther stands for. Neither do I. Nor did the Pharisees like what prostitutes stood for. But what was Christ’s message? That the sins of fornication, adultery and stealing no longer mattered?

No. I believe what Jesus Christ was saying, is that prostitutes and tax collectors were being true to themselves. But many of the Pharisees were being hypocrites. Let me give you an example. Let’s say a woman, without a husband and with many children, can’t make ends meet and her children are going hungry. But men abound who are willing to pay for her sexual services and allow her and her children to survive.

And then there’s a purported holy man who, as Jesus put it:

Matthew 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

Who will enter the kingdom of heaven, first? The one who out of love feels forced to commit sin or the one who feels no love but only pride?

So, what is Pope Francis, what is the Catholic Church saying with respect to Luther? Can anyone really say that all of the fruits of the Reformation were bad? Let me ask Steve.

Steve. What was it that turned you off of Catholicism when you were Protestant? Haven’t I heard you and other converts from Protestantism say that you viewed Catholics as lukewarm? I believe it is Scott Hahn who said, “We have the whole deck but we are only using a few cards. They only have half the deck, but they are using every card.”

Now, let’s look at Luther himself. Can anyone claim that Luther sat on the sidelines and watched things happen around him? What is the worst sin a man can commit? In my opinion, it is to be lukewarm. Let me support my argument:

Revelation 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Can anyone accuse Luther of being lukewarm?

So, what I’m trying to say is this.

Will Luther ever be canonized a Saint of the Catholic Church? I doubt it.
But, can we agree that many people respect him, that many people love him and that some good fruit did accrue as a result of his rebellion? Reluctantly, yes.

Can we also agree that we don’t read hearts and can’t know whether or not Luther was sincerely fighting for that which truly believed to be the Word of God?

So, although I’m not going to buy nor collect any of his memorial stamps, I won’t begrudge anyone else from doing so, and I won’t second guess the Pope nor the Church for offering the Protestant world an olive branch.

Frank September 12, 2017 at 2:08 PM

My Goodness De Maria—
He decided to take (7) books and parts of some others out of the bible—on his ‘say so’…

Revelation 22:18-19: “For I testify to every one that hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If any man shall add to these things, God shall add unto him the plagues written in this book. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from these things that are written in this book.”

We shouldn’t put him on a pedestal (or a stamp)…the truth doesn’t change according to ability to stomach it.
Frank