Why Rayla Left Calvary Chapel and Evangelical Protestantism

by Steve Ray on December 29, 2017

Rayla sent me an email and gave me permission to share it. Calvary Chapel (my wife Janet was associated with them in her younger days) boasts that 80% of their members are “ex-Catholics.” Thanks for sharing Rayla!

I came across your blog and am very impressed. After being raised Baptist, them attending Calvary Chapels for 20 years, I converted to Eastern Orthodoxy, for many of the same reasons you converted to the Roman Catholic Church.

I got so sick of the anti-Catholic rants (which to my shame, I used to believe), the ridicule of Catholic theology, especially  pertaining to the Holy Mother of God, the constant focus on the end of the world and the ridiculous Rapture theory, and the awful rock music.

But most of all I got tired of the smugness and surety that they are God’s cutting-edge church on earth. Not to mention most of them are so ignorant of church history and actually think that the early church believed and worshipped the way Evangelical Protestants do now.

I was bitter for a while, angry, feeling I’d been duped. But I’ve come to regard members of Calvary Chapel (especially the young ones) and those in similar denominations as being like natives in the deep jungles. They just don’t know. They know nothing about church history before Martin Luther.

Anyway, I do not engage with them, unless challenged, and even then I am careful.

When I realy realized the problems with Protestantism, (it is said that to study Church history is to not remain Protestant), I was amazed that I didn’t see them before. Twenty thousand + denominations and they don’t agree, something clearly the Bible is against, that and the stripping away of the sacraments and not honoring the Holy Mother…What a disaster. Now I can see it so clearly. Thank God I’m out!

May God rich bless you and your family.

See similar articles I’ve posted about mega-churches:

Mega-church Mania: One Mom’s Observations (she’s a good writer) and Observations from the Early Church

As A Baptist I Never Asked: “What Did the First Christians Do on Sunday Morning?”

Daniel Rossiter July 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM

God Bless and welcome home. I was just received into the Church this past Easter Vigil after having been Protestant for nearly 40 years. I remember coming to the realization after a lot of study; What do I have left to protest against? I totally know what you been about the veil being lifted from your eyes.

anil Thomas July 2, 2014 at 5:53 AM

I was born in a protestant family.i returned to the Holy Church with my family.i hope and pray that all our brethren return to the true faith.

Micha Elyi July 6, 2014 at 3:11 AM

When I hear the anti-Catholic rants from such Protestants, I sometimes recall that Jesus cautioned his disciples, “whoever is not against us is for us” (Luke 9:50, Mark 9:40) then I might make an intercessory prayer for the ranter and those who listened to the rants. Besides Rayna’s Calvary Chapel congregation, the local Seventh-Day Adventist preacher in my area loudly declares the Catholic Christians are idol worshipers, make a god of the Blessed Mother, blah blah blah. (Then they rent their hall on Sundays to a Greek Orthodox congregation. Go figure.)

Also it is useful to recall that Scripture records that the demons of hell know who Jesus is. Thus we hear of satanists performing a Black Mass but never a Black Altar Call. No one bothers to steal then attempt to desecrate grape juice and Wonder Bread.

Marian Hornfeck December 29, 2017 at 1:06 PM

Thank you for posting the article from Rayla! I just want to say “Amen, brother”! As a convert for twenty seven years now, I could not have said stated it any better. As a believer in Jesus, when I began to become serious about my faith, I discovered how ignorant I was and the more I learned about church history, how ignorant those “Bible teachers” were that I had been listening to for years. When I started attending the Catholic church, I discovered that it was not a “cult”. What I had been told for years was not true about Catholicism, not only is the gospel read and preached, it is the sacredness and holiness I love. I found that a personal relationship with Jesus is multi-faceted in Catholicism…communion with him in the Eucharist, the prayers and getting to know Him through his mother, our blessed Mary.

David Bobe December 31, 2017 at 6:43 AM

Happy New Year. Thank you for your Super work.

Mike K. May 31, 2018 at 10:49 PM

I was raised Catholic and this is my first time reading this and I feel relieved to find someone who has seen and heard what I have. Like the author, I attended a Calvary Chapel in Philadelphia and experienced the same things: awful rock music, infatuation with End Times, extreme Anti-Catholic views, and gross misinterpretation of the Bible; claiming that it has been translated incorrectly from the Greek. My wife still goes there but I cannot do it. Lately, it has also become a haven for politics. When I go to Church, I'm there to honor and worship God; not listen to a political speech. I told my wife that I no longer wish to attend it and desire to go back to the Catholic Church.

STEVE RAY HERE:
Thanks for sharing your experience. There are many many people like you. It always seems like a good idea to leave the Catholic Church but when you find out what else is out there the beauty, tradition, history, theology of the one holy Catholic and apostolic church brings many people back.

When I discovered it 24 years ago myself I said that it was the best kept secret. I was raised fundamentalist Baptist been kind of Bible church evangelical but when I discovered the Catholic Church my wife and I fell in love. God bless you and thanks again for sharing.

Mike October 14, 2018 at 2:34 PM

Wherever Jesus is honored is the most important thing. My grandparents immigrated from Ireland and were Irish Catholics. So, I had some background to the Catholic church from them, but unfortunately, never got connected with Jesus in a personal way there growing up. It was one of those “aweful rock concerts” at Calvary Chapel that you had alluded, where I had an opportunity to encounter Christ in a personal way in 1977. It was the Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa where they used this as a medium to be relevant and reach the youth that were lost. I have ALWAYS detested when people bash the Catholic church! I will say it again, I have ALWAYS hated when people have talked negatively about the Catholic Church. I have always had an affection for the church and consider it my roots spiritually; wherever Christ is honored is what matters, whether it be the Catholic or Protestant church. In fact, Christ can either be honored or dishonored in either one.