EWTN’s Raymond Arroyo is Under Attack – even it seems from the Vatican

by Steve Ray on February 26, 2018

A number of good Catholic journalist and newscasters are speaking out about what is going on with the Vatican. Raymond Arroyo is one of them.

Raymond Arroyo is a New York Times bestselling author, journalist and a producer. He is the news director and lead anchor of EWTN News, the news division of the Eternal Word Television Network. He is creator and host of the news magazine The World Over Live seen in more than 350 million households around the globe and heard on 500 AM/FM affiliates throughout the US. Arroyo is also author of the best-selling Will Wilder series (Random House/Crown) for young readers” (Wikipedia).

Robert Royal, editor of The Catholic Thing (which everyone should subscribe to for a free daily news commentary) and president of the Faith & Reason Institute based in Washington, D.C along with Fr. Gerald Murray, canon lawyer and priest in the Archdiocese of New York, join Raymond in speaking out honestly about what many are afraid to discuss. See one of their latest discussions here.

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 8.59.50 AMRaymond Arroyo was recently mentioned in a Tweet retweeted by the Secretary of State of the Vatican, Fr. Antonio Spadaro. In fact, it called for the firing of Arroyo and that the Church “interdict EWTN until they get rid of Raymond Arroyo” (see Tweet attached). An “interdict” is pretty much one step short of excommunication. My guess is that Arroyo’s popularity will soar as a result.

Here is what Robert Royal wrote as an introduction to The Catholic Thing Article today:

Note: Heartfelt thanks to all of you who expressed support and offered prayers over the past few days after stories appeared about a retweet by Antonio Spadaro S.J., a close collaborator of the Holy Father’s, calling on EWTN to fire Raymond Arroyo for his criticisms of various recent papal moves (and no doubt for the now five-year run of the Papal Posse). Or be placed under interdict.

This was either a weak attempt at intimidation or a lame attempt at humor – in either case, quite imprudent from someone who knows that what he says is taken, rightly or wrongly, to reflect back on Pope Francis.

Be assured, this portends no serious harm to me. This is why we have independent think-tanks and publications like The Catholic Thing, so that at least some in both Church and society may speak freely. Fr. Murray is most likely fine as well. But it’s not entirely a laughing matter for a prominent media figure like the talented Mr. Arroyo. If you want to express support, take a look at #imwithRaymond.

In any case, it will have no effect on our labors to understand and speak truth as we see it. – RR

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 8.59.50 AM

Ann Marie M Odell February 27, 2018 at 6:43 AM

Mr.Arroys is not only a good journalist,author, loving husband and father he a good Catholic! If the news is reported with good taste and honestisty then why are you looking to find something to complain about. No wonder why the church is losing not only the young but some of the old. Mother Angelica and EWTN has given hope to so many people and many are coming back to the church due to the type of programming they have which includes World Over Live and Conversations with Raymond Arroyo!! Shame on the Vatican who should look in their own backyard before condemning others. Thank you Raymond God bless you.

Ann Marie M Odell February 27, 2018 at 6:49 AM

I support Mr. Arroyo he ia a great journalist and catholic. EWTN only carries programming that is good and good for people. Maybe the Vatican should look in their own backyard first. Thank you

Ann Marie M Odell February 27, 2018 at 6:52 AM

I support Mr Arroyo he is a good catholic an journalist.

Sandi February 27, 2018 at 8:18 AM

The Vatican should know that EWTN was founded by Mother Angelica. She did not give in to bullies and the network she left as a legacy won’t either. She stood for authentic Catholic truth and so does EWTN. Kudos to Raymond and all the members of EWTN.

M.C, Miranda February 27, 2018 at 8:49 PM

We thank God for the integrity and the love for truth and church that comes so clearly through The World Over. We never miss the program. I do not even want to think what kind of person this priest is that wants Mr. Arroyo fired. We pray for Mr. Arroyo, for EWTN, and we know Mother Angelica will also be interceding in heaven. She was no stranger to attacks like this.

ELIANE February 27, 2018 at 9:48 PM

I’M wondering what Mother Angelica will say about the present situation of the church now! As for myself the religious education i received from my parent and the Baltimore catechist are what i hold on to. O Blessed Mother save the Church and our Sherpperd from errors.

ELIANE February 27, 2018 at 9:53 PM

The vatican cant shut down EWTN.It is a private network.

sandi February 28, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Eliane — nobody said the Vatican was trying to shut down EWTN. Raymond Arroyo works for EWTN and the Vatican would like to see him fired and have everyone who works for EWTN indicted until he is fired. Indicted means banned from most sacraments.

susan amoroso March 2, 2018 at 9:40 PM

I am an EWTN follower since 2008. I can not understand this move of some Vatican personalities, if true, they want Raymond Arroyo fired from EWTN and EWTN staff be indicted. For what? What right does the Vatican has to demand that? What exactly did Raymond Arroyo did or say that contradicts the teachings of the Catholic Church? Mother Angelica, founded EWTN on very solid Catholic foundation and had always stood behind the precepts and teachings of the Catholic Church. Arroyo has I think still to this day follows those precepts and has always advocated to safeguard the teachings of the Catholic Church and to report errors if there are with this premise: to safeguard the flock of the Catholic Church from errors that may be committed of some personalities, entities, in and out/ or of the Vatican.

I J Thevenot March 23, 2018 at 10:59 PM

Mr Arroyo does his reputation no favours by appearing on Fox, The Ingraham Angle, being uncharitable about various points of view and making fun of serious situations. I hope and believe the Catholic point of view remains uppermost, in keeping with the Bible’s admonition to “love thy neighbour”. It’s disappointing to see him engaging in this game.

Michael - Catholic. Father of ten March 30, 2018 at 11:05 AM

Al Kresta once observed that the first milinium was of the bishops, the second of the priests and the third of the laity. After the sex abuse crisis where progressive ideas and impure personnel were introduced into our Church, the laity, in the Name Of Christ, began to cathichize themselves and ask respectful questions.

It is a red flag when one respectably asks questions of leaders why they are not doing things as taught by our Lord and those questioned use threats to shut up those with questions. Historically, we have and see this tactic used by right and left wing socialists, Islamic extremists, and Hollywood predators.

From now on, this “”Reagan Marine” will “trust but verify” anything that is not in conformance with Sacred Tradition, Sacred Scripture, the deposit of faith and 2000 year old magisterium. We must carefully test the spirits.

We can not be ordered by anyone to sin. This includes being silent about sex abuse as well as other other deceptions of the devil, which has seeped into the Church through cracks in our walls.

I encourage all Catholics to continue fasting from meat or other things past lent on both Wednesday and Friday except for special holydays for our Church leaders to be led by the Holy Spirit and not the spirit of this world. We do have many holy clergy already and we need to participate in a rescue mission to save their brothers who may be confused.

STEVE RAY HERE: Lovely and I agree 100%!

Phil Senjanin April 29, 2018 at 12:47 PM

Tim Smith May 25, 2018 at 2:49 AM

I recently saw Mr. Arroyo on Fox News with Laura Ingraham who also is "supposedly" Catholic. I will never watch these two ever again. They certainly do not represent the Catholic church the way that I understand it.

STEVE RAY HERE: Tim, thanks for sharing and I respect your right to disagree but I have to say they are both good and faithful Catholics and I love both of them, what they are saying and how they are getting the truth out there. God bless both of them!

Peter Vere, JCL May 31, 2018 at 3:21 AM

Speaking as a Byzantine Catholic and a political conservative who lives outside of the U.S., one of the most common complaints I come across from parishioners at both our local Latin parish (which includes a TLM community) and our nearest Byzantine parish is that EWTN has lost its Catholic spiritual and evangelical fervour, as its focus shifts to American politics and the Trump presidency. That is, EWTN increasingly feels like Fox News at prayer.

For example, Mr Arroyo’s derisive dismissal of Catholic youth last month, which my colleague Mike Lewis covered at Where Peter Is: https://wherepeteris.com/raymond-arroyo-derision-over-truth/

This is why like many Byzantine Catholics I have switched my primary listening habits from EWTN to Ancient Faith Radio. The latter may be Eastern Orthodox, but it remains spiritually and catechetically grounded from a practical orthodox Christian perspective. Ancient Faith also largely avoids being sucked into the pitfalls of American politics–perhaps because its programming is produced internationally.

Moreover, during the past year Ancient Faith has increasingly recognized and become more openly friendly towards its Eastern Catholic audience, and 99 percent of its programming concerns issues where Catholicism and Orthodoxy overlap such as how to foster a love of liturgy and the sacraments in one’s children when they are complaining about being woken up for Sunday worship. Plus there is Ancient Faith’s sacred music stream which I listen to in the car and at work.

I just don’t get the same feel from EWTN anymore, despite having been a loyal listener and promoter of the station since my late teens.

Peter Vere, JCL May 31, 2018 at 4:11 AM

As an addendum to my previous comment, I would invite you to compare Raymond Arroyo's treatment of Pope Francis on EWTN with the following apologetic for Pope Francis by Abbott Tryphon of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia: http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/morningoffering/pope_francis_i

STEVE RAY HERE: Thanks for your astute comments. I understand completely. We in the US are wrapped up in our own survival and problems and often forget that we are not the whole world :-)

Stephanie S Curtis July 12, 2018 at 11:19 AM

We sure enjoyed coming to Alabama years ago to one of your conferences & hope to visit again since we retired. We bought lots of caps, t-shirts, books, pamphlets, medals. Brought them home & gave them to our Cathoic grade school, pre-school, left articles at the churc & gave the shirts & caps to youth leaders. Over a thousand dollars. We want to thank you for supporting Raymond Arroyo. We try to never miss his show.

Bill912 July 15, 2018 at 5:59 PM

Phil Senjanin: Would you please logically explain your remarks?

Elka Hern July 25, 2018 at 11:42 PM

“Phil Senjanin April 29, 2018 at 12:47 PM
Arroyo I suspect is a Trump supporter. I do not believe you can be a Trump supporter, and a Christian.” HA!!!!! HA!!!!!! HA!!!! This is the biggest laugh I have had in years. You can’t be a Trump supporter and a Christian, Ha!!Ha!!!Ha!!! Wow are you for REAL? Do you not know that God is using this President for our good and HIS GLORY!!!!

Bill912 July 27, 2018 at 12:57 PM

Elka, it’s sort of like he’s saying: “I do not believe you can be (a supporter of the pro-life candidate) and a Christian.”

DAinVA July 28, 2018 at 10:03 AM

How can a person be a liberal/progressive/Democrat and still be a Christian when the Democrat party erased God from its party’s platform and supports the killing of life in the womb? Not very Christ-like if you ask me!

virginia ravizza August 1, 2018 at 6:10 PM

i was surprised to see raymond arroyo on fox news…..he too has become entralled with the likes of trump. a man who makes good into bad and bad into good….also , he has no fear of God……while reading psalm 36 vs1-4 my thoughts were of mr. trump….i'm sure every christian or jew is praying for God's hands in this situation.

STEVE RAY HERE: Sorry to disagree with you Virginia. Sounds like you have been influenced by the likes of CNN and NYT. I personally am very fond of Trump and what he is doing as president. He is prolife, defending religious freedom and many other things that we can celebrate, finally. we respect your opinion, we just disagree.

Bill912 August 1, 2018 at 6:25 PM

Virginia: Please read my question 4 posts above your; I now ask it of you.

John Flynn August 1, 2018 at 10:56 PM

Seems like the Catholic Church is selling out to Trump just as the Evangelicals have. I do agree on his stance for religious freedom, and pro-life issues, but I just don’t have any faith or trust in him. Beware of wolves in sheeps clothing.

Steve Ray here: in my own humble opinion, I disagree completely. I think Trump is the best president we’ve had since Ronald Reagan and I trust him to do the right things. I am certainly glad he was elected and cannot imagine where our country would be if Clinton had won in 2016. I support Trump all the way and I do so because it’s the most sensible policy for our country and he’s bringing back sanity.

Remember, that the Catholic Church does not support or back any particular candidate so you can’t say the Catholic Church is falling for Trump. Rather, many of us Catholics who want sanity to our politics realize that Trump is the best thing that’s come along in a long time.

Louise chirby August 8, 2018 at 6:58 PM

Why is it that some people have to drag politics into moral issues? If the last scandal in the church had swept the whole church and not exempted the hierarchy, Catholics would not be suffering through this again. God help us! Mother Angelica must be weeping in heaven. She believed in moral truths, and her spiritual son Raymond is putting on the armor of God to carry on her legacy. Hang in there, EWTN , and God bless you all!

mark hoying August 10, 2018 at 6:29 PM

What I have observed over the past years of EWTN is that following their founder of Mother Angelica, the type of theology and ecclesiology are monastic. Expressions of the faith which are not a certain style are deemed liberal. And in the eyes of EWTN, liberal is wrong. Instead of finding truth, the outlook is to defend a monastic style Church. Raymond Arroyo is a strong advocate for Mother Angelica and this style. He outwardly does not support the present pope and his directions which he is leading the Church.
Because EWTN has the market on Catholic programming, they control much of Catholic thought. If you control the media, you control the people. Unfortunately EWTN does not reflect true Catholic teaching, only one monastic style.
I believe that there should be some control by the Bishop's Office of EWTN since they are called to be the teaching office of the Church.

STEVE RAY HERE: I disagree with this comment but post it for the sake of conversation.

mark hoying August 11, 2018 at 7:10 AM

You may disagree with this comment but programming doesn’t lie. There is an attacking style to some programs which goes back to Fr. Corapi and Mother Angelica. This style only polarizes rather than unify. The use of the words such as liberal or progressive are seen as something nearly sinful. During the Mass portion of the EWTN programming, participation by women, a sign of peace, Communion under both Forms are left out. Latin seems to be the preferred language. The celebration of the Eucharist is foundational to the faith of Catholics and EWTN clouds the thoughts of its viewers by presenting a style which is not up to date. Viewers around the world believe this is the style which should be used in parishes. The television personalities of EWTN become like family to many viewers. To say anything against them would be a word against their family.
Attitudes often times carry more weight than teaching. The attitude of Raymond Orroyo and EWTN is dividing the Church rather than bringing the attitude of Christ.

Bill912 August 11, 2018 at 8:19 PM

mark hoying: Can you provide some evidence to support anything you wrote?

mark hoying August 12, 2018 at 6:36 AM

Yes, Bill912 there is much evidence for an attacking style exhibited by EWTN, Mother Angelica, Raymond Arroyo, etc. If one goes back to a number of programs on EWTN Mother Angelica attacks persons who do not agree with her style and asks viewer and listeners to turn in priests and bishops who do not agree with her style. Being in a parish in New Zealand many viewers in that country believed that all Catholics should follow the style of the Mass from EWTN.
As far as proving attitudes, that is difficult to "prove" someone's intention. But actions show much of what is in a person's/station's heart.

STEVE RAY HERE: Mother Angelica may have been bold and outspoken but her whole goal, and rightly so, was to help maintain the orthodoxy and historical tradition and teaching of the Catholic Church. She railed against heterodoxy and immorality and lethargy among the clergy. That’s exactly what Lay people should do. Bravo to EWTN!

Daphne August 18, 2018 at 2:01 PM

“Father forgive them. For they not know what they are doing.”
When we say the prayer “Our Father” we are saying”forgive me only
If I forgive others”
First let us take the plank from our eyes, before we look for the speck
In our brother’s eye”
Jesus said He came for sinners.
Righteous people do not need Him.
He also said “ if you have not sinned, cast the first stone”
Let us pray for our priests and civil leaders.
In the wake of the present day scandal, instead of wasting our
Time picking on others, let us spend time in praying.
I suggest every catholic to fast at least once a week on Fridays with
One meal.
Attend daily mass.
Recite the rosary and chaplet of divine mercy.
Spend at least an hour in Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.
Pray for all the priests especially the ones that have erred.
Also say the prayer for priest found in the Pieta.
My friends who are daily communicants have decided to
Increase our weekly Adoration from 10 hours a week to 12 hours.
And offer our rosary and chaplet of divine mercy for our priests.
God bless each and every one of you with the Holy Spirit
To discern the will of God and His Grace and strength to
Accept His Holy will.

Karin Carozza August 20, 2018 at 12:39 AM

When the Pope allows some well-known politicians to continue spouting their insanity, yet considers the EWTN practicing Catholics –( in reality)- to be forbidden from the Sacraments—something is amiss in Italy. Wow, this is getting weird!.

B. J . Silvaney August 28, 2018 at 11:31 AM

I have noticed Raymond on Fox news lately. Has he been fired from EWTN? I thought it was unusual and worried he was being sucked into the secular slippery slope.

STEVE RAY HERE: No, He is still on EWTN full blast. And doing a great job I might add. However, he realized there is the need to share Christian truth outside of the Catholic Bubble. I think he’s doing great on secular radio as well.

Kathleen M Dux August 29, 2018 at 8:19 AM

Raymond Arroyo has always been an honest reporter. I have watched him for years. He has interviewed some of the most outstanding Catholics over the years and he has always come across as a Catholic man who loves his Catholic Faith. Earlier in this thread, someone named Michael said this…”It is a red flag when one (respectfully) asks questions of leaders why they are not doing things as taught by our Lord and those questioned use threats to shut up those with questions. ” I think Michael makes an important point. The late Fr. Michael Scanlon, in his book,”The Truth About Trouble,” said…and I paraphrase,…if you are not sure what the truth is in a matter, look for the tail of the serpant. I think what Michael said about shutting someone up for asking questions is a tail of the serpant!

audrey mchugh August 30, 2018 at 10:01 PM

Why is no one talking about Pope John Paul 11 and Fr. Marcel Marcel. He kept him around and respected ,a rapist and abuser of women who also had a wife and children. and who made Cardinal Macarick bishop and Cardinal? There is enough guilt to go around. Lets not make this a political football. The Pope’s frenamy’s are coming out in force. It reminds me of the PresidentTrump’s administration.

Marie-E. Coulombe August 31, 2018 at 10:08 AM

I pray that Raymond Arroyo stops interviewing Bill Donohue. He is no more CREDIBLE.
He is being supported financially by unworthy Bishops. He is no more in the Catholic orthodoxy.
Please Raymond find someone else, as lay to comment on the problems of the Church…..He is not a good witness.
Thanks

Caesar J. B. Squitti August 31, 2018 at 6:42 PM

Anti-Catholic agenda ?

It seems that the issue of child molestation within the world, and especially THE CHURCH, is being used by some to attack THE CHURCH, and not focus on the extensive anti-family, agenda of radicals, be they homosexual and or lesbians.

Perhaps Mr. Raymond Arroya, should refocus his attention on how pedophiles have corrupted society in general, both male and female, and stop attacking THE CHURCH so forcefully.

STEVE RAY HERE: Let’s be clear that Arroyo is not attacking the Church, he is attacking evil forces within the Church which appear to go way up the organizational chart. This is not a problem of pedophilia as is now becoming clear. It is a homosexual issue and it needs to be rooted out all the way to the top. Bravo Raymond!

John Sweeney September 1, 2018 at 7:52 PM

I agree totally with the comment above that this is purely political and mr Arroyo and friends are out to get the pope for not adhering to “orthodoxy and traditional Catholicism” as they see it. They wanted Trump to flip to their evangelical and traditional side. They got the most disgustingly immoral liar in office. Pope Francis won’t bend to their wishes. The previous writer is correct about JP 2 also. Marcel reportedly even had sex with his own children. What would Bill Donahue label that. I wonder which Cardinals wiould admit to voting for the current Pope. Let’s have an investigation into the real and well known issues and not join Arroyo’s posse in delay. It’s like the whole guns and 2nd amendment fight which has now resulted in one more shooting.

STEVE RAY HERE: I am allowing this comment (which in some ways I think unclear) for sake of discussion. I thoroughly approve of Arroyo and Trump which I want to make clear here.

Bill912 September 2, 2018 at 12:26 PM

Perhaps John Sweeney should go to catholicleague.org and put “maciel” in the search bar. Then, he would know what Bill Donahue would “label that”.

Lisa MacDonald September 7, 2018 at 7:12 PM

and further…..please stop attacking our Beloved Pope.

STEVE RAY HERE: No one is attacking the Pope. We are just expecting him to do what a Pope is supposed to do. Silence is not what he is supposed to do.