EWTN’s Raymond Arroyo is Under Attack – even it seems from the Vatican

by Steve Ray on February 26, 2018

A number of good Catholic journalist and newscasters are speaking out about what is going on with the Vatican. Raymond Arroyo is one of them.

Raymond Arroyo is a New York Times bestselling author, journalist and a producer. He is the news director and lead anchor of EWTN News, the news division of the Eternal Word Television Network. He is creator and host of the news magazine The World Over Live seen in more than 350 million households around the globe and heard on 500 AM/FM affiliates throughout the US. Arroyo is also author of the best-selling Will Wilder series (Random House/Crown) for young readers” (Wikipedia).

Robert Royal, editor of The Catholic Thing (which everyone should subscribe to for a free daily news commentary) and president of the Faith & Reason Institute based in Washington, D.C along with Fr. Gerald Murray, canon lawyer and priest in the Archdiocese of New York, join Raymond in speaking out honestly about what many are afraid to discuss. See one of their latest discussions here.

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 8.59.50 AMRaymond Arroyo was recently mentioned in a Tweet retweeted by the Secretary of State of the Vatican, Fr. Antonio Spadaro. In fact, it called for the firing of Arroyo and that the Church “interdict EWTN until they get rid of Raymond Arroyo” (see Tweet attached). An “interdict” is pretty much one step short of excommunication. My guess is that Arroyo’s popularity will soar as a result.

Here is what Robert Royal wrote as an introduction to The Catholic Thing Article today:

Note: Heartfelt thanks to all of you who expressed support and offered prayers over the past few days after stories appeared about a retweet by Antonio Spadaro S.J., a close collaborator of the Holy Father’s, calling on EWTN to fire Raymond Arroyo for his criticisms of various recent papal moves (and no doubt for the now five-year run of the Papal Posse). Or be placed under interdict.

This was either a weak attempt at intimidation or a lame attempt at humor – in either case, quite imprudent from someone who knows that what he says is taken, rightly or wrongly, to reflect back on Pope Francis.

Be assured, this portends no serious harm to me. This is why we have independent think-tanks and publications like The Catholic Thing, so that at least some in both Church and society may speak freely. Fr. Murray is most likely fine as well. But it’s not entirely a laughing matter for a prominent media figure like the talented Mr. Arroyo. If you want to express support, take a look at #imwithRaymond.

In any case, it will have no effect on our labors to understand and speak truth as we see it. – RR

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 8.59.50 AM

Ann Marie M Odell February 27, 2018 at 6:43 AM

Mr.Arroys is not only a good journalist,author, loving husband and father he a good Catholic! If the news is reported with good taste and honestisty then why are you looking to find something to complain about. No wonder why the church is losing not only the young but some of the old. Mother Angelica and EWTN has given hope to so many people and many are coming back to the church due to the type of programming they have which includes World Over Live and Conversations with Raymond Arroyo!! Shame on the Vatican who should look in their own backyard before condemning others. Thank you Raymond God bless you.

Ann Marie M Odell February 27, 2018 at 6:49 AM

I support Mr. Arroyo he ia a great journalist and catholic. EWTN only carries programming that is good and good for people. Maybe the Vatican should look in their own backyard first. Thank you

Ann Marie M Odell February 27, 2018 at 6:52 AM

I support Mr Arroyo he is a good catholic an journalist.

Sandi February 27, 2018 at 8:18 AM

The Vatican should know that EWTN was founded by Mother Angelica. She did not give in to bullies and the network she left as a legacy won’t either. She stood for authentic Catholic truth and so does EWTN. Kudos to Raymond and all the members of EWTN.

M.C, Miranda February 27, 2018 at 8:49 PM

We thank God for the integrity and the love for truth and church that comes so clearly through The World Over. We never miss the program. I do not even want to think what kind of person this priest is that wants Mr. Arroyo fired. We pray for Mr. Arroyo, for EWTN, and we know Mother Angelica will also be interceding in heaven. She was no stranger to attacks like this.

ELIANE February 27, 2018 at 9:48 PM

I’M wondering what Mother Angelica will say about the present situation of the church now! As for myself the religious education i received from my parent and the Baltimore catechist are what i hold on to. O Blessed Mother save the Church and our Sherpperd from errors.

ELIANE February 27, 2018 at 9:53 PM

The vatican cant shut down EWTN.It is a private network.

sandi February 28, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Eliane — nobody said the Vatican was trying to shut down EWTN. Raymond Arroyo works for EWTN and the Vatican would like to see him fired and have everyone who works for EWTN indicted until he is fired. Indicted means banned from most sacraments.

susan amoroso March 2, 2018 at 9:40 PM

I am an EWTN follower since 2008. I can not understand this move of some Vatican personalities, if true, they want Raymond Arroyo fired from EWTN and EWTN staff be indicted. For what? What right does the Vatican has to demand that? What exactly did Raymond Arroyo did or say that contradicts the teachings of the Catholic Church? Mother Angelica, founded EWTN on very solid Catholic foundation and had always stood behind the precepts and teachings of the Catholic Church. Arroyo has I think still to this day follows those precepts and has always advocated to safeguard the teachings of the Catholic Church and to report errors if there are with this premise: to safeguard the flock of the Catholic Church from errors that may be committed of some personalities, entities, in and out/ or of the Vatican.

I J Thevenot March 23, 2018 at 10:59 PM

Mr Arroyo does his reputation no favours by appearing on Fox, The Ingraham Angle, being uncharitable about various points of view and making fun of serious situations. I hope and believe the Catholic point of view remains uppermost, in keeping with the Bible’s admonition to “love thy neighbour”. It’s disappointing to see him engaging in this game.

Michael - Catholic. Father of ten March 30, 2018 at 11:05 AM

Al Kresta once observed that the first milinium was of the bishops, the second of the priests and the third of the laity. After the sex abuse crisis where progressive ideas and impure personnel were introduced into our Church, the laity, in the Name Of Christ, began to cathichize themselves and ask respectful questions.

It is a red flag when one respectably asks questions of leaders why they are not doing things as taught by our Lord and those questioned use threats to shut up those with questions. Historically, we have and see this tactic used by right and left wing socialists, Islamic extremists, and Hollywood predators.

From now on, this “”Reagan Marine” will “trust but verify” anything that is not in conformance with Sacred Tradition, Sacred Scripture, the deposit of faith and 2000 year old magisterium. We must carefully test the spirits.

We can not be ordered by anyone to sin. This includes being silent about sex abuse as well as other other deceptions of the devil, which has seeped into the Church through cracks in our walls.

I encourage all Catholics to continue fasting from meat or other things past lent on both Wednesday and Friday except for special holydays for our Church leaders to be led by the Holy Spirit and not the spirit of this world. We do have many holy clergy already and we need to participate in a rescue mission to save their brothers who may be confused.

STEVE RAY HERE: Lovely and I agree 100%!

Phil Senjanin April 29, 2018 at 12:47 PM

Arroyo I suspect is a Trump supporter. I do not believe you can be a Trump supporter, and a Christian.

Tim Smith May 25, 2018 at 2:49 AM

I recently saw Mr. Arroyo on Fox News with Laura Ingraham who also is "supposedly" Catholic. I will never watch these two ever again. They certainly do not represent the Catholic church the way that I understand it.

STEVE RAY HERE: Tim, thanks for sharing and I respect your right to disagree but I have to say they are both good and faithful Catholics and I love both of them, what they are saying and how they are getting the truth out there. God bless both of them!

Peter Vere, JCL May 31, 2018 at 3:21 AM

Speaking as a Byzantine Catholic and a political conservative who lives outside of the U.S., one of the most common complaints I come across from parishioners at both our local Latin parish (which includes a TLM community) and our nearest Byzantine parish is that EWTN has lost its Catholic spiritual and evangelical fervour, as its focus shifts to American politics and the Trump presidency. That is, EWTN increasingly feels like Fox News at prayer.

For example, Mr Arroyo’s derisive dismissal of Catholic youth last month, which my colleague Mike Lewis covered at Where Peter Is: https://wherepeteris.com/raymond-arroyo-derision-over-truth/

This is why like many Byzantine Catholics I have switched my primary listening habits from EWTN to Ancient Faith Radio. The latter may be Eastern Orthodox, but it remains spiritually and catechetically grounded from a practical orthodox Christian perspective. Ancient Faith also largely avoids being sucked into the pitfalls of American politics–perhaps because its programming is produced internationally.

Moreover, during the past year Ancient Faith has increasingly recognized and become more openly friendly towards its Eastern Catholic audience, and 99 percent of its programming concerns issues where Catholicism and Orthodoxy overlap such as how to foster a love of liturgy and the sacraments in one’s children when they are complaining about being woken up for Sunday worship. Plus there is Ancient Faith’s sacred music stream which I listen to in the car and at work.

I just don’t get the same feel from EWTN anymore, despite having been a loyal listener and promoter of the station since my late teens.

Peter Vere, JCL May 31, 2018 at 4:11 AM

As an addendum to my previous comment, I would invite you to compare Raymond Arroyo's treatment of Pope Francis on EWTN with the following apologetic for Pope Francis by Abbott Tryphon of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia: http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/morningoffering/pope_francis_i

STEVE RAY HERE: Thanks for your astute comments. I understand completely. We in the US are wrapped up in our own survival and problems and often forget that we are not the whole world :-)